- Personal contact
- Space and time for you
- Keratoconus expert
- Measurement is without obligation and free of charge
New developments keratoconus
New developments around keratoconus
New developments are constantly taking place around keratoconus. And that’s a good thing. It is simply a bothersome eye condition that is very common and cannot be cured. Nevertheless, scientists are constantly looking for solutions that can make the complaints of keratoconus patients more bearable. The Keratoconus Center in the Netherlands also contributes a lot in this regard and is a trendsetter in some areas. You can read more about this here.
Higher order aberrations
Keratoconus causes two types of eye defects:
1. Lower order aberrations: this eye flaw can be corrected with plus or minus lenses and a cylindrical prescription.
2. Higher order aberrations: this group makes up the other eye defects. In keratoconus, these errors mainly cause the shadows on the underside of letters, which do not disappear even after correction with glasses.
Uncorrected higher order aberrations reduced contrast sensitivity. As a result, with keratoconus you mainly suffer from poorer vision in poor light conditions. When the environment is less contrast-rich due to less light, this environment is even less visible when the eyes have already lost contrast sensitivity. It is incorrectly said that there is night blindness. Night blindness is caused by the retina not functioning properly.
If the scleral lens is not enough
In many cases, the scleralens can offer a solution in people with keratoconus. Scleral lenses reduce the vision of shadows and ghosts. It also improves vision and contrast sensitivity. Nevertheless, quite a few higher order aberrations remain uncorrected. You can recognize this because the shadows on the letters are no longer at the bottom of the letters, but in a smaller shape at the top of the letters. For many patients this is not such a big problem. For those who still cannot see well in the twilight, the shadows on the top of the letters will still considerably reduce the contrast sensitivity. Scleral lenses with Conepower technology can significantly improve visual performance for these complaints. This technology is only available at the Keratoconus Center in the Netherlands.
Not all eye errors can be corrected most optimally by scleral lenses. Sometimes a switch to soft keratoconus contact lenses with Conepower technology is a much better option. Wavefront correction is the latest development in contact lenses for better correction of keratoconus. With this new and advanced application, keratoconus can be corrected even more accurately. In 2022, the Keratoconus Center in the Netherlands will conduct research into the effect of wavefront correction and the influence on the decrease in light sensitivity.
Benefits of the Wavefront treatment
Below the advantages of a Wavefront correction in brief.
- Reduces light circles and starburst: Clinical research shows that patients see better at night and suffer less from light circles (halos) and glare (glares) after a Wavefront correction.
- Improves contrast: Wavefront technology not only improves vision, but also positively affects image quality. After the correction you notice that you can perceive more details.
Learn more about the new developments
Naturally, we closely follow all new keratoconus developments at the Keratoconus Center in the Netherlands. We are therefore happy to inform you about it. Do you want to know more about it? Please feel free to contact us.